– Privatization should be viewed as a good governance reform
– There must be commitment by government politically and within line ministries.
– Privatization programs must be an integral part of a countrys economic policy
– Privatization programs must include a strong institutional and regulatory framework.
– The environment must be competitive,regulated and transparent.
– Deregulation of the financial sector should precede privatization
– Restructuring to create competition and ensure a separation of commercial and social functions should precede divestment.
– Regulation is required only where restructuring is unable to ensure a fully competitive industry.
– Rehabilitation prior to privatization should be avoided.
– Privatization programs should be accompanied by extensive public awareness campaigns.
– Privatization programs should be complemented by comprehensive social welfare programs.